Friday, May 17, 2013

May 11, 2013 - Crawfish Boil

Crawfish Boil Day
Up early this morning heading to the market to get the crawfish as they come in from Mamou, Louisiana.  My cousin, Barry, had reserved  3 sacks for us and had actually paid for them because they go fast.  By paying ahead of time we knew they would be there waiting on us; it appeared that everyone in Brookhaven had planned a crawfish boil this weekend.  Fred and I were shocked at the price because at home in Houston the cost was $2.95/pound and here they were only $1.69/pound.  We got our 3 sacks and then headed home to start all the preparation.  Barry has an old bathtub and sack by sack they were dumped for cleaning.  Man you could tell they were fresh as they were very muddy - guess that's why some people call them mud-bugs.  They were all medium to large in size and really looked great.

Barry, Fred and Barry's son, Andy got all the sacks ready and started the water boiling with the seasonings for the crawfish.  Everyone started showing up and it was great to see a lot of my dad's family again.  The last time I saw a lot of them was at my Dad's funeral in April, so it was great to see them under better circumstances.  My dad's brother Clifford, who lives in the Dallas area, even showed up this year.  Barry does such a great job cooking the crawfish and I must say his are the best I have ever eaten.  There was the  usual corn and potatoes, but he adds mushrooms, deer sausage, whole onions and even hot dogs.  The kids love the hot dogs because they get tired of peeling crawfish real fast. 

The three sacks of crawfish went fast along with all the other goodies that everyone had brought.  Lots of beer, wine, water, and soda was consumed and lots of great conversation and tales of the past was exchanged and before we knew it, it was 6:00pm.  Everyone started packing up and leaving looking forward to next year.  Everyone had a wonderful time and after all had left we cleaned up and then went inside to relax.  We feel asleep in front of the TV and I had to wake Fred up to go back to our coach.  What a wonderful day!!!